With any business, billing and invoicing is a crucial part of operations. However, sending out invoices, chasing overdue payments, and managing finances can be taxing and time-consuming.
That’s where invoicing software comes in. With the right tools, you can save precious time and focus on other vital areas of your business.
There are countless billing and invoicing tools out there. With so many options, how can you identify what’s best?
Read on for our picks for the best invoicing software for freelancers, small businesses, and not-so-small businesses.
ManyRequests is the all-in-one software, ideal for managing and scaling your agency. Its functions go far beyond billing and invoicing your clients.
With this tool, you can manage client requests, impress clients with a customizable client portal, and even automate your operations. This makes ManyRequests especially attractive to those seeking to streamline operations and grow their agency.
- Upfront payments.
- Create elegant client intake and checkout forms.
- Integration with other tools.
- Client portal.
- Manage client requests.
- Useful insights to help you track performance.
ManyRequests offers its users three subscription plans.
- Basic: $129/ month for 5 team accounts.
- Pro: $299/ month for 10 team accounts.
- Enterprise: Custom pricing.
Ready to get started with ManyRequests? Start your free trial right away (no credit card required).
FreshBooks is one of the best invoicing software currently available on the market.
With over 24 million people who have used this tool worldwide, they’re a leading choice for freelancers, small businesses, firms, and self-employed professionals.
FreshBooks’ services go far beyond invoicing. It’s also the ultimate all-in-one tool for organizing and tracking expenses, accounting, time tracking, and collaborating on projects.
- Customizable invoices.
- Tracks billable hours by project and automatically adds them to an invoice.
- Monitors and organizes your expenses.
- Integrations with over 100 popular apps.
- An Android and iOS mobile app that helps you stay in touch with clients and handle accounting from anywhere.
- Collaboration tools.
FreshBooks pricing varies according to your chosen plan:
- Lite: $15.00/month for 5 billable clients.
- Plus: $25.00/month for 50 billable clients.
- Premium: $50.00/month for an unlimited number of billable clients.
With QuickBooks, you can easily send custom invoices to clients and send quotes to potential clients.
In addition to its solid invoicing features, this software also performs a range of accounting functions, making it the go-to resource for small and medium-sized businesses.
- Customized invoices and quotes.
- Monitors your income and spending.
- Automatically set up recurring payments.
- Time and project tracking for employees.
- Online banking integration for convenient transactions.
QuickBooks currently offers three plans:
- Simple Start: $16/month, for one user plus your accountant.
- Essentials: $25/month for three users plus your accountant.
- Plus: $34/month for five users plus your accountant.
4. Zoho Invoice
With Zoho Invoice, you can easily send out professional invoices, automate payment reminders, monitor and organize your expenses, and even track time spent on the clients’ projects.
The best part? This software is free! That feature makes Zoho Invoice one of the best invoicing software for freelancers and small businesses, especially if you’re just getting started.
- Automated payment reminders.
- Create professional invoices.
- Send estimates to potential clients.
- Time tracking.
- Expense tracking.
- Comprehensive reports to monitor business performance.
- Client portal.
Zoho Invoice is a free invoicing platform.
Xero is undoubtedly one of the best billing software that is currently available on the market.
With over 2 million subscribers globally, the platform is an ideal choice for small businesses.
But Xero’s goes beyond invoicing.
The platform has a host of accounting features that can help you closely monitor your business financials. As cloud-based software, Xero allows you to access and manage your finances from any location and safeguards your data against accidental deletions.
- Bank integration for smoother transactions.
- Automatic recurring payments.
- Monitor time, costs, and the overall profitability of a project.
- Detailed reports to track business performance.
- Bulk invoicing.
- Fast online payments.
Xero offers its users three subscription plans:
- Early: $11/month
- Growing: $32/month
- Established: $62/month
Looking for an invoicing tool that is elegant, convenient, and easy to use? Look no further than Hiveage.
This software is cloud-based, and therefore, you don’t need to download or install any software. You can also access your account from anywhere using any device.
Hiveage is one of the best billing systems for freelancers, agencies, and small businesses. In addition to its efficient invoicing tool, the platform offers a range of accounting features.
- Professional and customizable invoices.
- Quotes that are easily converted into invoices.
- Manual or automatic invoices for recurring payments
- Tracking, categorizing, and accurate billing for expenses.
- Tracking billable hours per task.
Hiveage currently offers four subscription plans to its users:
- Free: $0/month for five billable clients.
- Basic: $19/month for 50 billable clients.
- Pro: $29/month for 250 billable clients and up to five team members.
- Plus: $49/month for 1000 billable clients and up to 10 team members.
Wave is a solid invoicing software that is 100% free, and this makes it a great solution for small businesses and freelancers seeking an affordable or free billing system.
With this software, you can handle not only billing and invoicing operations but also accounting functions for your business.
Wave stands out as it offers most of the features available on paid invoicing software.
- Automatically set up recurring invoices.
- Numerous invoice templates.
- Collaboration tools.
- Cash flow management by tracking income and expenses.
- Track sales tax.
- Comprehensive reports to monitor business financials and performance.
- Unlimited bank and credit card integrations.
Wave is a free invoicing and accounting platform.
As the name implies, Simplybill provides a simplified and effective invoicing system that can be adopted even by users not conversant with technology.
This software is cloud-based, which means that you can access your account from anywhere, and there is a backup for all your data.
Simplybill is also very well-priced, and it’s a great option for those seeking a simplified billing and invoicing tool.
- Automatically add domestic and international tax rates to invoices.
- Numerous invoicing templates.
- Tracks your business performance.
- Monitors the status of your invoice, i.e, delivered, read, or not delivered.
- Pricing is based on the number of invoices rather than the number of clients.
Simplybill offers its users three subscription plans.
- Basic: $5/month, to send 25 invoices.
- Enhanced: $15/month, to send 100 invoices.
- Premium: $25/month to send an unlimited number of invoices.
Whether you’re a freelancer, an agency, or a small business owner, billing and invoicing software can help you save time on admin so you can get paid faster.
The ideal billing system will also differ from business to business.
To choose an option that best suits you and your business, you’ll need to consider your budget, the number of clients, and the features that would benefit your firm.
The invoicing tools we’ve covered offer lots of built-in features and functionality, and they’re a fantastic place to start. You can compare the features and pricing to settle on the best invoicing software for your business.
Did we miss one? Let us know in the comments below.